Things I tell myself:
1. You're not that big a deal, relax.
2. You've been here before, don't sweat it.
3. Remember everyone is fighting a personal battle, be gracious.
4. But for the grace of God, there go I. If you think you stand, take heed, lest you fall.
5. This too shall pass, soldier on. Get a good night's sleep and see what it feels like tomorrow.
6. Don't demand from others what you don't demand from yourself.
7. Don't demand from others what you do demand from yourself.
8. Be ok with slow growth, that's how all healthy things grow.
9. Things will be ok if you take a day off and do nothing, seriously.
10. Remember your last mistake, learn from it, then forget about it.
11. You don't know as much as you think you do, be humble.
12. You're not going to be liked by everyone, deal with it.
13. Do a few things well, rather that many things poorly.
14. Do not be deceived that pressure is the same as power. They feel the same; they are not.
15. Listen more than you talk...listen way more than you talk.
16. When speaking to people, seek to make an impression rather than be impressive.
17. I all your getting, get friends that you can sit by a fire and laugh with.
18. Don't hide behind God, if you've got a problem, don't busy yourself with ministry.
19. Do all you can to foster congruency between your family and the rest of your life. Fear duplicity.
20. Look for the good news everywhere you go. It's there, it just isn't talked about as much.
21. Everyone has a glory inside them, draw it out patiently and celebrate it.
22. Don't be afraid to stand for something even if people don't like it, life's not a popularity contest.
23. Learn from criticism, don't run from it or dismiss it...take time to pan for the gold found therein.
24. Do hard things. It's the only antidote to not wasting your life.
25. Don't feel guilty when you relax and treat yourself to nice things.
26. Want what you have today more than you did yesterday. You are blessed, remind yourself of that.
27. Share your blessings with those less fortunate. You are blessed to be a blessing.
28. Interact with people, ideas, and books your disagree with. Sharpen the saw of how you see life.
29. When your mind belches: "More, Better, Different, Faster." Say back: "Enough. That's enough."
30. Train your brain to not be a people-pleaser. Please God and be done with it.
31. Constantly peruse your priorities and reorient your schedule around your core priorities.
32. Trust the truth. Even when (especially when) the truth seems opposite of the currents of culture.
33. Commit to pray even when you get distracted. No matter how broken the prayer...pray.
34. Fight for the hearts of those you're leading. Listen to them and celebrate them.
35. Don't succumb to pride. You aren't as unique as you're trying so hard to be.
36. Make time for down time. There is nothing that kills the soul faster than occupational constancy.
37. Trust your gut. If you're instincts are says something isn't right, it probably isn't. Back away.
38. Don't let negative and passive/aggressive people be in your inner circle. They will eat you alive.
39. View sin seriously and aggressively. Practice radical amputation in regard to sin.
40. Seek to rid yourself of excessive accumulation that deadens the nerve endings of gratitude.
41. Love your God, Love your neighbor, Love your enemies...and so fulfill the law of Christ.
42. Smile as much as possible and aim that smile directly at the people around you.
43. Lead when life needs leadership, follow when there's already great leadership in place.
44. Listen with all your being. Don't take your eyes off the person talking. Lock in.
45. Don't listen or watch stuff that trains you to think humanistically. Shut it off and consult God.
46. Don't bemoan the fact that people are watching you because you're a leader. It's a privilege.
47. Don't forget to play and engage in mindless recreation. Your heart needs to decompress.
48. Do all you do for the glory of God. Anything less is humanism; anything more is legalism.
49. My success in ministry doesn't translate into success with God. Ministry can be godless.
50. God, then my wife, then my children, then the church. From there it's up for grabs.