Dad, are you looking forward to the worship night?

“Dad, are you looking forward to the worship night tonight?”  Not exactly the question I was expecting from either of my girls on the way to school this morning.  It was -11 degrees and the sun had yet to crest the morning horizon.  We were on our way to Tim Horton’s to grab a coffee before the school drop-off.

“I can’t wait.” I shared a little bit of what we had to look forward to though for the most part I’m largely unaware of the details of the night being put together by the Worship and Programming Team.  This is a night for our family to go to church and be together.  Typically I’m getting ready to lead something or say something, but tonight I’m a guy with his family.

“Me either”.  I love that my girls look forward to these nights as well.  It’s incredible really.  Not so much that they want to worship, but that we get to do this together.  How many things are there in the world where you can go and “sing together”, not simply joining a band putting on a performance (that happens at any concert), but singing together to an invisible Being that is soaking in our hearts and words like a Supernatural Sponge, completely qualified to be worshipped and glorified as the Center of it all.  It’s stunning to think about.

When they were little girls longing for nothing more than their pacifier, I used to dream of nights like tonight praying that they would “want to worship” and imagining what it would be like to be “singing together” to a God that they each individually chose to follow on their own.  I seriously remember daydreaming about Heidi and I joining with our precious princesses doing this and now they are 15, 13, and 11 and it’s a reality.


Sometimes dreams come true, thank God.

Comments

Popular Posts