by the way...

I got my hair cut. Not only did I get it cut, I got it cut exactly the way I've gotten it cut the last 7 years of my predictable hairy life. I came to the fork in the road and when haunted by the quote to "take the road less traveled by...", I simply took the broad road of certainty. In the wake of that decision, I feel somewhat stunned. I'm not the iconoclastic trailblazer I used to be. I'm steady and stable. Oh no. Oh me. Oh my. Lord Jesus, come quickly.

I've decided to shift my desire to stay stylish and trendy to my wardrobe. I wear Converse low top All-stars (the ones that Pistol Pete wore in the 70's) and I have red Puma's (the ones that David Crowder wears currently). I wear most of my shirts untucked much to the chigrin of my mother. I just bought two fleeces from places like Aeropostale and Gap. I wear jeans that have a horizonal white washed look in the creases that emerge from the zipper region of the pants. They flare outward from the crotch widening with a worn, whitened flare. My pants are frayed where the heal of my shoe grinds them ever so angrily into the ground. I have a t-shirt that has the 7-up logo on the front as well as a long-sleeve shirt with the Atari logo stamped over the top of my manly sternum. Regularly I recieve comments about how hip those shirts are.

On one of my shirts, I leave the collar up against all conventional wisdom. I love to wear long john underwear long sleeve shirts under my short sleeve t-shirts...I look sorta punk when I do that, it makes me look 6 years younger and feel 15 years younger. I wear a leather bracelet sometimes just to keep up with my metrosexual brother, but it leaves a rash when I sweat profusely.

And here's the cherry on top...I have a soul patch under my bottom lip. I haven't touched that baby for over three years now. Along with my alternative clothing, it adds that hollywood touch so many people are going for these days.

What I'm trying to say is that even though I chickened out on the hair deal, I'm making up for it with a sweet clothing makeover. I'm feeling pretty good about that trade off. If you have any fashion suggestions for this 31 year old going through a 3/7 life crisis, I'm all ears.

Brad Pitt...you got nothing.

Comments

Jim said…
You chicken, you should have shaved it.
Nick Nye said…
I find that if you stand on the edge of trendy then you will always be trendy. I've worn the same clothes (basically) since high school and I think I'm considered trendy?

The edge is when you aren't metrosexual trendy nor are you a 40 year old school teacher clothes wearer. But who am I to give advice, I wear t-shirt and jeans all the time!
Ty said…
2 things I still say buzz the hair...it will grow back if you don't like it, but it looks good on Brett Favre who use to have the trendy hair in the 90's.

2nd a nice jogging jacket like David Crowder wears. it will go well with the rest of the wardrobe you mentioned.

All that said I wear a t-shirt and jeans all the time like nick said, so be careful no to put much into my advice :o)

Popular Posts