Shard #13

John 5:39-40 (New International Version)

39 You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

This might sound heretical, but it must be said. One of the most creative cults spearheaded by the enemy is found in the company of people who idolize the Bible. Instead of being a road to Jesus, it becomes a roadblock. Cross-referencing. Greek word studies. Doing "devotions". Debates over doctinal disagreements. Systematic theology. Bible memorization. Reading through the Bible in a year. Crafting creative sermons. The list goes on and on. I fear this world most because I'm in ministry and have come to understand the difference between the God of the Word and the Word of God. You can easily get lost in the latter and lose the former. I'm not trying to divorce them from each other, but I think it's vital to make the distinction every now and then.

Just like anyone, I love what I can get my hands on and my mind around. Since God can be somewhat illusive and mysterious, it's easy to sink your teeth into the Scriptures and forget to feed on God Himself. You can take a verse and play around with it like a hacky sack. You can sculpt an idea and develop a line of thought that gives you a distracting sense of pleasure in and of itself. You want to know how I know this? Because I'm running the risk of doing it this very moment. I'm taking a verse and expounding on it with clever little spins of spice. I can put together sermons for weeks on end without encountering Jesus. I can use the Word as a pacifier to give me a false sense of security that I'm close to God.

Remember, in this passage, Jesus is talking to professional Bible quizzers. They sat on those little electronic pads and prided themselves in being the first to stand and speak of the fine print, what was written between the lines, the infinitesimal nuances of every jot and tittle recorded in the text. They were the masters of Theology. And Jesus told them off.

I wonder how many get lost in the maze of Scripture and never find their way to Jesus. I wonder how many pride themselves in knowledge without knowing. I wonder if the Bible has become my little lump of playdough to shape and craft and squeeze and hold. It's just too easy to let it become the end all. In fact, I think the flesh would rather interact with literature than bother itself with the messy ups and downs of unpredictable relationship with an living being. You can open it, shut it, leave it home, carry it around, put it in your pocket, download it onto your ipod, or just plain forget about it. You won't hurt it's feelings because "its" don't have feelings.

But Jesus, he's a different story. He doesn't like to be carried around in our pockets and played around with like a lucky rabbit's foot. He pursues us when we forget about him and is rarely ever found in the place where we thought we left him. He can't be opened and shut at our command and he won't be relegated to a slot in our schedule. He's not black and white, He's alive and well.

If we stop at the Scriptures, we will have missed the point. For the Bible is only the fork, Jesus is the feast.

Comments

calebroberts said…
JASON!!! i miss you awfully. here i sit, in ireland, teh place of my dreams, and all i can think of is you. i stumbled upon your blogsite via that of colleen barrows and there i sat, entranced, browsing, tasting, eating and digesting blog after blog. i miss you, did i say that already? i made a blog myself... feel free to check it habitually. i will try and update often. write me back!

Popular Posts