good blog...

Here's a blog from my drummer and friend that hits the nail on the head...

My first Christian college disappointment...

I'm agitatied... for real.
Let's start with the following disclaimer: Cornerstone University is a great school to be at, and I feel and have felt at home since the first day of classes last semester.
There it is.
Now then, in my New Testament class we are learning all about Jesus, his minsitry, and the Kingdom of God. It's all good stuff. However, I'm having a real hard time with this book we're reading, 'Jesus the Messiah: A Survey of the Life of Christ'. Quite literally this book goes into the very details of Christ's life, including scholarly theories on the exact date his ministry started and ended, an entire section of a chapter devoted to the argument of the unridden colt and whether or not it was pre-arranged, seventy bible verses giving clues to the hour Jesus was born, etc. I dare say that if the author of this book had more pages to fill, he would have theorized that Jesus was allergic to peanuts.
I'll tell you who is thinking about peanuts, and that's me. A detailed account of Jesus' crucifixion is what set me off just now, and part of my homework tonight was to answer the question,
"Between what hours was Jesus crucified?"
This was my actual answer, and is what I'll be turning in tomorrow:
" Does it really matter? This question seems quite irrelevant, as do others in this chapter..."
Dan and I were talking about this today over lunch, and he recommended that I blog about it. So here I am, venting one of my first exegetical opinions from higher-education-land-- here's the main point:
There are too many details and distractions in this crazy world we live in. They take away the meat of truly meaninful things. Scholars don't need to focus on when Jesus was born, but why. They're wasting their time arguing about the pre-concieved plan for Jesus to ride the colt into Jerusalem, when the simple fact is that it happened and there's nothing that can change that. It frustrates me to read paragraph after paragraph on the hour-by-hour theories about the exact medical pain experienced on the cross, when the main point is that he died for all of humanities' sins.
These guys that helped write this book have big, scholarly, almost egotistical blinders on, and I think it's leading students reading it to care less about who Jesus was and what he did. Instead, they're worried about what his favorite color was and if 'blue' is the correct answer on the homework or not.
Get my point?

Thanks Dave VanKuelen...

Comments

Popular Posts