My wife...she's a good "thing".

Proverbs 18:22 - Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD.

This verse may be the greatest understatement in the whole Bible.

A “good thing”? Really? That’s the best you got?

Heidi just loves being reduced to a thing. Objectified into the equivalent of a toaster. “Good morning, my little thingy.” She loves it when I refer to her as a thing I have to take care of, a thing I have to make time for, a thing in my schedule to do. She’s my little plaything. It just makes her come alive. Not.

But she is the best thing I’ve got going. There is “no-thing” more important to me than her in the whole world. And yet as one author said, “The most important things in life aren’t things.”

I love the word “find” in this verse. It’s the greatest find in the world. Some look and look for years trying to find the “love of their life” without success. But when you find a “wife”, there isn’t a better find in the world. And when you get it wrong and settle for the best you could find instead, there isn’t anything more terrible. There is nothing good about that.

My life with Heidi has been so “good”. We have shared almost 14 years together in marriage and it keeps getting better and better, gooder and gooder. When I think about my life I would say with the Psalmist, “Surely ‘goodness’ and mercy has followed us all the days of our lives”. The days of our lives…sounds like a Soap Opera, doesn’t it? Our lives together are filled with goodness, tons and tons of goodies. We are blessed.

I have found a wife and she is the best thing I’ve ever found. Our life together is so, so good. And today I wanted to celebrate that goodness.

I love you, Heidi.

Comments

Popular Posts