Aly's Birthday Party...

In just about one hour, 25 girls will be converging on our property decked with princess decor and prancing about like they are attending a royal ball. Heidi has garnered the table with tea cups and muffins though I'm sure not a one of the girls cares for vintage tea. They will choke it down to play the part.

This morning, we unveiled the Gift of all gifts. Heidi had purchased a Briar Rose dress sometime in the last four years (if you aren't aware, mothers have the capacity to think years in advance for events such as this and the patience to actually closet something until it arrives), and wanted to give it to Aly before her friends showed up. The objective of this moment was to ensure that her dress was by far the "fairest of them all" since she was the princess of honor. This dress has long sleeves with puffy white fur down by her wrists. Her shoulders are exposed with only a bejeweled strap to hold the dress in place. White fur lines the entire pink dress like the silver lining of a cloud at sunset.

Her countenance is the most precious of sights as she squeezes her face muscles with a sheepish grin of satisfaction. Every dimple caves in to its capacity. Her eyes squint with the delight. Her hair, dissheveled from the putting on of the dress, shines in the rays of the morning sun bursting through the windows into our living room. Her blue eyes seem to shine with a fresh vibrancy. Her skin glows tan against the pink shade of the gown. She spun and twirled to see the air fill the dress with the breath of the fairies. She was, above all, raptured with her own beauty.

You have to understand, this is not make believe to them. One of the must cutting and cruel things I could say to my daughters is that they aren't acting like a princess. If I want to turn the knife, I just have to add, "You're acting like Cruella Deville." They come undone with horror, repenting in a sackcloth and ashes. I try to remind them that being my daughter isn't what makes them a princess, it's the whole idea that they are the child of a great King. I think they get it. But all good theology aside, they still think they are princesses because it's wired into their system from birth. It's days like today that only prove that girls are endowed by their Creator with a beauty and glory that radiates from within. Those that retrieve the heart of a child find themselves privileged to live it out all their days.

Aly, your daddy is bewitched by you, body and soul (Pride and Prejudice). To look upon you today reminds me of the precious gift God gave me when he gave me you. Your middle name is Grace, and I can't think of a word that I long for you to inhabit more as you grow into a beautiful young woman. Just know that there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think upon you and pray for your little heart to fight off the assault of the feminine soul, and to move into this world with the strength and passion of the King's daughter. You are your father's pride and joy. I love you the mostess. Happy 5th Birthday, princess.

Comments

NY23CLIFF said…
That was beautiful Jay...

Tell Aly Happy Birthday from Cliff and Ange...
Allie Garcia said…
I found your blog through Kate McDonald's. I have been reading it the last few nights before bed, and I just want to let you know that you have given me a beautiful picture of Christ and the way men are supposed to be. I was raised in a home with no father and eventually I acquired an emotionally absent stepfather. I married a man who has never been affirmed by his own father and has no idea how to love me. Thank you for chasing after Christ and giving me hope.

Popular Posts