playing...

My wife left on a little get away yesterday. That means that I'm here with my daughters, alone. Heidi is left alone with the beauties alot, but I'm not granted the same responsibility...(it just struck me, am I irresponsible? No need to dwell on that bit of self-revelation.)

The last two days we have done nothing, and I mean nothing, but played. It started yesterday with a morning at "Chuckie Cheese". Chuckie is an overgrown mouse with large buckteeth. Every once in a while, he comes out of hiding and the kids swarm him, rub his fur, hug him, and invite him to their homes. I know it's a joker in a costume, but they are enraptured with this milk-fed rodent. He waves and puts his hand over his mouth like he's giggling for like 10 minutes straight until he's sweating through the mouse suit. Just when he starts to smell like B.O. he makes a B-line to the storage closet where he emerges as a disgruntled and sweaty employee.

I bought about 10 bucks worth of tokens and we were off to the races. We rode rides, played games and ate ice cream....for like two hours. When the girls had had enough, they begged me to get off the rides so that we could move to the next playful event for these three thrill-seekers. We decided to drive over to the Kent County fair. Mind you, it's not actually open for business yet, they're just getting things ready for next Monday's opening day, but my daughters have been counting down the days. We drove through the cluttered streets of the fair and watched animals being dropped off, rides being assembled, and vendors getting their grease ready for action. Their eyes were popping out of their heads and the giggles--they were priceless. I was even getting excited for the "carnies" to come to town.

From there, we went over to McDonald's Playland, the place where dreams chrystalize before your very eyes. It was a zoo of wild children plotting to take over the world inside the tubes that were suspended 20 feet over the unsuspecting adults heads. I climbed into the tubes and got in on the action. There is nothing I would love more than adults to be overthrown by the hearts of young children. After spending the morning in "Chucky Cheese's", I'm a believer.

From there we had to bed down for some naps. Naps are taken for the express purpose of refueling for the 6 hours leading up to bedtime. As the girls curled into their beds, I braced myself for the remainder of the day.

Before I could catch my breath, they were awake. We headed to town to pick up a movie only to come back with two, Barbie: The Princess and the Pauper, and Eloise, the Plaze. We got gumballs while we were there, the kind that wind down this maze and finally pop out at the bottom with a bang. Taylor could hardly cram hers into her little mouth, so I pushed it in for her...it took about 4 minutes for the saliva to break down the polished texture that protects the gum and for her tiny jaw to chew with freedom. Gumballs rock! Their flavor last approximately 52 seconds, but it's bliss right up to the last second. Then it turns into a harded apoxy that could be used to post notes on your refrigerator.

We watched these movies last night and then told stories before bed. They were dressed up as princesses and I was kissing their hands like we were at the "Royal Ball", at least that's what I think they called it.

They went to bed, so did I. I was spent. Playing takes it out of you.

This morning, we woke up and took a walk down the country road, ate Corn Pops, watched Dora the Explorer, played house outside, and then took off to go to the playground. This playground was huge! I was swinging, sliding, hanging, climbing and loving every minute of it. I took a book to read while they played. I never got around to ready, thank God. (I spent too much time trading play for other things.)

We came home and they took another nap. Kami laid there, but finally came downstairs. We went outside and talked about where pickles come from. I told her that they are baby cucumbers snatched out of the garden prematurely and soaked in this magical juice that makes them delicious. We ate the whole jar of them. My stomach hurts.

I think I just heard more footsteps upstairs. Aly has risen out of slumber and is ready to wisk me away into a world where pedestrian hearts are not allowed. This is a world that only exists to those willing to play again.

I read my Bible today...as I was reading Matthew 4 I thought I heard more footsteps upstairs, I think God's getting ready to play...

Comments

Jennifer said…
What a great dad you are! Daughters don't forgot those kind of days spent with their Daddies. They'll be talking about it for years. :)

Popular Posts