something sublime at Panera...

Sublime

I’m sitting in this leather chair
Passing by some time
Hoping that I stumble onto
Something that’s sublime.

I’m looking for a stab of joy
to penetrate the norm,
making me alive and spry
Instead of true to form.

Isn’t that what we all want,
Our pulse to speed a bit,
Encountering a touch of weird
Something that doesn’t fit.

A dash of something quite bizarre
A spoonful of the strange,
A touch of some quaint oddity
Out on the open range.

Where are the goose bumps on my arms?
Where is the tingling spine?
Where are the eyes that well with tears
When life’s not more than fine?

I have to think I’m justified
in wanting something more
or maybe I’m a trying boy
who needs to be ignored.

Comments

Lorie said…
This is GOOD. Reminds me of something I read last night in one of Lauren Winner's books ("Real Sex: The Naked Truth About Chastity"), where she talks about how the combination of our natural desire for fulfillment/pleasure and this culture's mode of instant gratification teaches us to expect from life things that can never be. Part of living the Christian life is reprogramming our misguided expectations through spiritual disciplines. Only then can we fully enjoy all that is available to us in its purest form.

Interesting...

Popular Posts