sexual revelations...

I was sharing life with a guy this morning and somehow, we got on the topic of sexuality. He was teaching a class that evening on chastity and sexuality and how it relates to the culture in which we live. He said that a person's sex life oddly parallels how most people do life...how they show up on any given day. As we explored these thoughts more, he mentioned that most people close their eyes during intimacy (kissing, foreplay, intercourse, orgasm, etc) and wondered why that is. I honestly hadn't ever thought about it. Alot of people have sex with the lights off, under the covers, with their eyes closed. He mentioned that people, though fascinated with nakedness, struggle to live that way. Nudist's in this present case have something to teach us about life. They are comfortable in their own skin and I'm sure it spills over into how they relate on an emotional and relational level as well. So many people do friendship with the lights off, under the covers, with their eyes closed. We would just as soon not make the other person uncomfortable with our looking at their nakedness or with them looking at ours. Just close your eyes and think about what you wish it could be like or look like or feel like.

But I wonder, what would it be like to turn the lights on, throw off the sheets and keep your eyes wide open. That's intimacy. This conversation lingers on inside my heart. Our lives are lived in the shadow of intimidation and insecurity and our hearts are taking a beating pining for original glory. Oh for the day when with open eyes we may behold and be beheld, no covers...no shades drawn, no darkness. I never thought sex revealed so much about the human heart.

that's what I get for going to a coffee shop...I should have stayed at the church office where I can answer questions the world's not asking.

Comments

JOSHUA S BLACK said…
Jesus said, "I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I spue thee out of My Mouth." (Revelation 3:15b-16) At least the nudists are willing to acknowledge what they are doing. And those truly chaste the same. As my pastor says, "God can help you when you're honest."

Popular Posts