Barack Obama...

So I'm reading this book, "The Audacity of Hope" by Barak Obama. I bought it a few weeks ago in the airport. I have to admit that any time I've heard this guy speak on television, I've been drawn to his spirit. I don't even know his believe system, but the sheer hope of his spirit gives me a leg-up no matter where I've been whenever I've happened upon an interview between he and whoever had him cornered at the moment.

I have to say that this book has been an intriguing read so far. He's a brilliant writer and I love the way his mind crafts lines of logic and strings of emotion. He seems centered and aware. He seems caring and creative. I like that in people.

I know that I don't agree with every conviction he has, but there are many things that I do espouse. The older I get, the more I realize that I've spent too much time in my life defining my relationship with people based on my disagreements with them, not the commonalities.

It's not breaking news that Democrats are more humanitarian and environmental in their slants on politics, but they aren't all morally bankrupt and valueless like they are often characterized. In general, they are a bit more liberal in their stances on stem cell research, gay rights and abortion, but this doesn't mean they are cruel and utterly useless. Republicans aren't this flawless flock of Jesus followers either. I've witnessed a huge void of values in many who rule and reign in the red states as well. There is an arrogance among them...in some ways more hypocritical because it's under the guise of faith and spiritual platitudes.

I'm somewhat suspended between the parties at this point. I don't trust either of them. I'm more of an environmentalist and a humanitarian than I've ever been. I'm more of a pro-lifer than I've ever been, but I don't think life stops after nine months in the womb. You have to stay pro-life after the baby is born, and I sometimes think the Republicans lose the pro-life surge when the baby in born...after that, they are on their own. I wish Democrats where more moral, and I wish Republicans were more holistic in their approach.

Barack Obama isn't perfect, but neither is George Bush. And just because George Bush works so hard to please his special interest groups by throwing some God jargon in the mix, doesn't mean we all the sudden are a godly nation under God. There's more going on than these little snapshots given to us by Fox News or the New York Times. Both sides are pitting us against ourselves for ratings. Fox News isn't balanced, The New York Times isn't balanced. In our screwed up nation, there is no such thing as balance. So we would do well to fight through the smog of the media to what lies beneath the bantor. And what lies beneath is flawed people leading a flawed nation. No one is who they seem...and when we believe the Democrats are the answer or the Republicans have the corner on the truth, we are the stupidest and most naive of humans.

This book is good, not because it's got all the right answers, but because it's addressing alot of the right questions. You may not agree with it, but I hope it's not because you're a unflinching Republican...that's not a good enough reason. Our reasons for not seeing the value of the other side aren't good enough anymore...we must be deeper than that.

Comments

Popular Posts