The God of the verb - Revelation - pages 425-431

There are letters written by men for Jesus, and then there are these letters written by Jesus for men.  Probably the most popular of the letters to the 7 churches in Revelation is the one written to the church of Laodicia.  It has been the staple diatribe against "lukewarm" Christianity and the silver bullet of many-a-camp speaker desperate to draw the net on Friday night before the "recommitment" camp fire.

Revelation 3:14-22


14 “To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:


   These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation. 15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 


17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.


   19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.


   21 To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”

I was struck with the verbs connected with Jesus.  He says...

I know...He knows our deep hearts inside and out.
I wish...He has deep dreams for our lives.
I spit...He can't help but throw up when something isn't sitting right.
I counsel...He guides us toward truth....talking to us instead of telling us off.
I love...He has an affection for us and that drives his passion for change.
I rebuke...He calls us out because He has our best interest at heart.
I discipline...He isn't afraid to punish us in order to help us.
I stand...He is always facing us even if we aren't facing Him.
I knock...He is always initiating a relationship with us.
I come...He will walk through the door if we open it.
I eat...He wants to hang out with us (sup with us as the KJV calls it)
I give...He is the generous God of gifts.
I overcame...He is able to give us victory because he was victorious.
I sat...He is sitting at the right hand of God completely in control of life itself...relax.

Just some random thoughts after reading this text today.  I love that Jesus is a God of verbs.  He is actively doing things.  He isn't passive and unfeeling.  He is moved and is moving toward people creating movement.  

Maybe someone needs to be reminded of this fact today.  I don't know, but he does.

Comments

Popular Posts